Israel and Palestine Policy Report
This is the final (unofficial) text of the motion passed by the United Church’s 41st General Council on August 17, 2012.
The 41st General Council took no action on the following proposals:
- LON1 – Responding to the Palestinian Call for Solidarity
- BC2 – Modifying The United Church of Canada’s Recognition of Israel as a Jewish State
- BC6 – Affirming the General Council Israel/Palestine Report
- HAM7 – Accept the Kairos Palestine 2009 Document and to Act on its Call to the Churches of the World
- HAM5 – Proposal on the Palestine/Israel Dispute
- M&O3 – Support of the Working Group on Israel/Palestine Report
- HAM6 – Amend United Church Recognition of Israel from “Jewish State” to “state”
- MNWO4 – Accepting the Kairos Palestine 2009 Document and Acting on Call to the Churches of the World
- BC4 – Boycott Divestment and Sanctions as Solidarity Action Toward a Just Peace in Israel/Palestine
Work re Israel/Palestine Policy
The hope is that this report will contribute to the United Church's understanding of the conflict in Israel/Palestine and support those who seek a peaceful and just resolution. Until the report is considered by the General Council, it is not policy of the church, and its proposals are solely recommendations.
The Report of the Working Group on Israel/Palestine Policy is now REPORTS 79–124 of the GC41 Workbook.
The following is a sampling of responses to the report. These responses do not represent the position of the church and are offered only as background materials for the consideration of the commissioners to GC41.
- Response from Kairos Palestine [PDF: 3 pp/338 KB] representing Palestinian Christians
- Response of the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs [PDF: 18 pp/447 KB]
- Response from Westminster United Church [PDF: 4 pp/506 KB], the only Christian church in Canada that jointly owns and shares a centre with a Jewish congregation
- Response from the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center [PDF: 10 pp/51 KB]
- Paper from Professor Gregory Baum [PDF: 5 pp/130 KB]
- Letter from Canadian Lawyers and Jurists for World Jewry [PDF: 2 pp/42 KB]
- Response from Arab Canadians [PDF: 13 pp/441 KB]
- Letter from United Church members of the Senate of Canada [PDF: 3 pp/70 KB]
- Response from the Jewish Community Centre of the Eastern Townships [PDF: 2 pp/19 KB]
- Letter from the Canadian Rabbinic Caucus [PDF: 2 pp/114 KB]
- Response from Independent Jewish Voices-Canada [PDF: 4 pp/89 KB]
- Response from United Network for a Just Peace in Palestine and Israel [PDF: 2 pp/24 KB]
- Letter from Canadian Friends Service Committee (Quakers) [PDF: 1 p/160 KB]
- Letter from Quakers Canada [PDF: 1 p/88 KB]
- Response from the Roman Catholic participants in the Canadian Christian-Jewish Consultation [PDF: 2 pp/73 KB]
- Letter from Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East [PDF: 2 pp/40 KB]
- Letter from Canadian Rabbis [PDF: 4 pp/205 KB]
- Commentary by Stephen Scheinberg, co-chair of Canadian Friends of Peace Now
The following is a sampling from the many hundreds of e-mail responses we have received as of July 10, 2012. In some instances comments have been edited for length, but a full-text print copy of all e-mails received will be available for commissioners at General Council. For privacy reasons we have used only initials to identify senders.