Materials for commissioners attending the 41st General Council.
Basis of Union and United Church Crest
The 40th General Council approved a motion that acknowledges the presence and spirituality of Aboriginal people in the United Church as a significant component to the Basis of Union, and directed that Aboriginal people be invited to become signatories. It also directed that a new United Church crest be developed that acknowledges the presence and spirituality of Aboriginal people in the United Church. The task group on the Basis of Union and the crest is introducing its proposals to the 41st General Council at Conference Annual Meetings this spring.
- Presentation to Conference AGMs [PDF: 1 p/96 KB]
- Report to Conference AGMs [PDF: 7 pp/51 KB]
- On the GC41 YouTube playlist: John 17:13-26, Theological Reflection with Gerald Hobbs, and Overview: Changes to the Crest
Correspondence to GC40
Please find a log of the correspondence [PDF: 26 pp/351 KB] dealt with by the Executive of the 40th General Council 2009-2012.
In 2010 the Executive of the General Council mandated the simplification of The Manual. The by-laws have been reduced in length and complexity and organized topically, making The Manual more user-friendly. The draft Manual is subject to approval by the 41st General Council.
- Draft Manual [PDF: 202 pp/1.5 MB]
Effective Leadership and Healthy Pastoral Relationships
Effective Leadership and Healthy Pastoral Relationships is a proposal for simplified pastoral relations and oversight and discipline processes in the GC41 Workbook (PLENARY 7). These resources are provided for Commissioners who wish to review the reports, consultations, and research findings that have contributed to this project.
- Executive Summary on Proposal [PDF: 3 pp/36 KB]
- Effective Leadership Report March 2011 [PDF: 12 pp/78 KB]
- Effective Leadership Report November 2011 [PDF: 12 pp/90 KB]
- Consultation Report: Key Survey Findings [PDF: 8 pp/101 KB]
- Petitions and Proposals to GC38, GC39, GC40 [PDF: 61 pp/245 KB]
- Simplification of Church Processes: Feedback [PDF: 5 pp/35 KB]
- Planning for a Future Grounded in Faith and Action [PDF: 15 pp/74 KB]
- Isolation in Ministry Project [PDF: 52 pp/289 KB]
- Simplified Pastoral Relations Projects: Part One [PDF: 43 pp/223 KB]
- Simplified Pastoral Relations Projects: Part Two [PDF: 50 pp/284 KB]
Interim Ministry Steering Group
The following document provides background for GCE 11 Report of the Interim Ministry Steering Group. This background document provides additional context and details of the work of the Interim Ministry Steering Group.
- Report of the Interim Ministry Steering Group [PDF: 2 pp/24 KB]
Permanent Committee on Programs for Mission and Ministry
These documents are related to the core work of the program area of the General Council Office.
- Accountability Report re GLBTT Consultations [PDF: 13 pp/131 KB]
- Intercultural Ministries: Living into Transformation [PDF: 26 pp/228 KB]
- Toward 2025: A Justice Seeking/Justice-Living Church [PDF: 9 pp/79 KB]
- Review of Canadian Partnerships [PDF: 33 pp/167 KB]
- Reviewing Partnership in the Context of Empire [PDF: 32 pp/500 KB]
State of the Church
There are choices to be made for The United Church of Canada, and dreams to be nurtured, as we seek to serve God faithfully in the 21st century. The facts and trends documented here provide the context for the decisions to be made at General Council. This report offers vital information for all commissioners coming to the 41st General Council this August and seeks to sketch the larger picture that connects the many parts of who we are as a denomination.
The State of the Church is now INFO 1-23 of the GC41 Workbook.
The Beaconsfield Initiative: Canadian Mining Interests in the Philippines
The following theological reflection supports ORANGE 21-22 M&O1 Beaconsfield Initiative Proposal on strengthening partnerships and studying the impact of Canadian mining interests in the Philippines. ORANGE 21-22 can be found in the GC41 Workbook.
- Theological Reflection [PDF: 8 pp/143 KB]
The Pension Board and Responsible Investment
The United Church Pension Board has offered the following information on its responsible investment policies and practices as background to Commissioners attending the 41st General Council 2012.
- The Pension Board and Responsible Investment [PDF: 3 pp/37 KB]